Skip to main content

Practise your French!!

The BBC offers a very useful website on all aspects of learning French. (Click here)
As well as giving you opportunities to refresh your French grammar using quizzes and French TV, there are also reports you can listen to which will ultimately aim to give you the best training in the language.

In one newspaper, it was reported that the French need to 'cheer up' a bit more and to be less miserable.  I was surprised to hear this.  It said in the article that in a country which is considered the world's top holiday destination and enjoying a quality of life envied by so many, you'd think otherwise but apparently there is so much pessimism  amongst the people.  According to a survey only 37% of the French actually like President Sarkozy.   His partner Carla Bruni has stated that the French are always 'negative', she added that ''they also are crazy about their own language, so every time there's something that's not in French, they get so mad about it."    Perhaps this unhappiness is just a reflection of the global recession that has hit so many of us recently.    Or, then again it could be so many factors...what do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is with regret I have not updated in a while.    I managed to squeeze in a visit to Paris in early November 2025.   I'd been wanting to go since January 2025. The desire is like a spiritual longing - its hard to describe!  Well, we happened to have some credit on our Easyjet account (due to a previous cancellation)...So the hubby said to me, why don't you use it to go to Paris?!  Great idea!! I jumped at the chance.  I'd booked a couple of days off work so I thought , just do it! Hubby was busy working away.. I reserved a room at the Easyhotel near the airport - as a bonus there was a massive mall directly facing that mall.  I arrived there late at night so the following morning I was up at the crack of dawn. It was foggy and I couldn't see, but somehow I managed to locate the bus stop that where buses would take me into the airport bus park.  I figured that, that would've been the easiest way as there was a direct bus to L'Opera (centre o...

Paris, I miss you....

C'etait la reve la plus importante a moi!  Quoi?   Un sejour a Paris! From the 14th to 17th March my partner and I went to Paris for a little break.. We booked a nice, cosy little hotel in central Paris, just south of the Montmartre region. When we got there, the airport bus left us off at Gare du Nord.  From there we managed to flag down a taxi to take us to our hotel.  The taxi driver gave me my first 'your French is excellent' compliment!!  I was so happy but not quite convinced. Here is what we did: Night 1 (not long after arrival): Dined in a typical little Parisian restaurant, off the Rue Lafayette.  We headed back to the hotel,as we'd been travelling all day, early night and recharge batteries for the following day. Our room Day 2 We headed straight for the Eiffel Tower - leaving the hotel at 8.30 am. I was so excited!!  The weather was nice.   We walked along the Champ de Mars - I didn't recall the Tower being...

Vraiment desolee!!

Do please forgive me for not updating in a while...well, since my course is fast approaching I am starting to think how I can brush up on my grammar......in the meantime, I 'treated' myself to a couple of nice things last week. Paris themed storage tin Eiffel Tower design sticky post- its French fabric Last but not least, I found this little cutie tucked away, forgotten I'd had it!! *                        *                         * Oh, the family & I went to see The Adventures of TinTin last week at the cinema which I believe to have first appeared in French.   Thoroughly enjoyed it! A couple of my French friends Nathalie & Sophie who I keep in contact with have said I am most welcome to vi...