Is your language good enough?

French Proficiency Test

Having not spoken French in a few years now , I thought I'd give this test a try. How much French grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehension do you know?
See if you can beat my personal score of 75% (113 points out of 150)!!
To get started, click on the link above.

One of the potential professions that I was interested in learning more about during my student years was becoming an interpreter.... I did well in French & Linguistics but, sadly not so well in the interpreting module at university.    There are basically two types of interpreting; consecutive and simultaneous and it was the latter that I found extremely challenging.    (Generally you sit in a booth and convert the language as it is spoken to you).

Are there many fluent speakers of French (learnt as a 2nd or 3rd language) out there?    I admit I had achieved near native fluency when I lived in France, but it takes constant practice and total immersion in the country in order to continuously maintain the fluency, in my opinion..    Long after I left France in 1996, I was able to hold quite an interesting conversation with a Senegalese woman whilst on a trip to French-speaking West Africa...


My tips for foreign language learning:

Ultimately, the BEST way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in the culture and country whose language you are interested in learning. 

Another tip is you could get lessons from a native speaker who knows their stuff. However, a tip that I have found helpful is when learning the language, study units (new vocab or grammar) for ...say 20 minute blocks at a time. In other words, frequently and often. This way of studying is more effective and makes language learning a whole lot easier. It helps if you do some study daily, make it a routine so it becomes part of your everyday life.

Listen to radio or music, read newspapers in the foreign language....
Or, find yourself a French penpal!   Above all, practise, practise, and practise!

Comments

  1. Comment je peut faire la même teste que tu as fait? Où je trouve ca?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliquez sur le lien ci-dessus FRENCH PROFICIENCY TEST (http://www.transparent.com/learn-french/proficiency-test.html)

    Bonne chance!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, here I come!

Paris, I miss you....

So Hollande is the new president..