Skip to main content

Down memory lane? Sentimental thoughts.

Ernest Hemingway once wrote  '' If you are lucky to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a movable feast''.   I can identify with these words without a doubt,  although my 'Paris' was Strasbourg at the time...this city left such an incredible impression on me....with the regional Tarte Flambee meals that I had with my fellow students to the 'Palais Universitaire' where I was lucky enough to be enrolled for 10 months.
My fellow Korean students always met with me near the student halls of residence where they stayed in. (okay sorry I know this is supposed to be French related but most of my friends just happened to be Korean).   This corner cafe that we frequented had a very cute decorated 'wall of art' that was written/drawn on by people/vistors from all walks of life.  Eun Jin was my best friend, she used to ramble on about wanting to find the perfect spouse and get married and settle down.  She was only 23 then but the eldest of our group of friends. Then there was Soo Young, who really did look very young. She had long jet black hair.   Hyun Chung was a sweet friend - everytime I saw her she was either painting her nails or giving me hugs.  Then there was Bo-ryeong , I became more friendly with her 2 to 3 months before the end of the course and our friendships together.  She had agreed to meet up with my long term penpal in South Korea to pass a present onto her from me after leaving France for Korea.

It's ironic , because I went to France to learn French, then ended up forming a bond and longlasting friendships with such great girls from another side of the world....what did it all mean?  Perhaps it was an experience to reinforce my belief that France really is indeed such a special place. No matter which  part I went to I always felt welcomed.     I do tend to hope...can I go to Paris soon?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is with regret I have not updated in a while.    I managed to squeeze in a visit to Paris in early November 2025.   I'd been wanting to go since January 2025. The desire is like a spiritual longing - its hard to describe!  Well, we happened to have some credit on our Easyjet account (due to a previous cancellation)...So the hubby said to me, why don't you use it to go to Paris?!  Great idea!! I jumped at the chance.  I'd booked a couple of days off work so I thought , just do it! Hubby was busy working away.. I reserved a room at the Easyhotel near the airport - as a bonus there was a massive mall directly facing that mall.  I arrived there late at night so the following morning I was up at the crack of dawn. It was foggy and I couldn't see, but somehow I managed to locate the bus stop that where buses would take me into the airport bus park.  I figured that, that would've been the easiest way as there was a direct bus to L'Opera (centre o...

Paris, I miss you....

C'etait la reve la plus importante a moi!  Quoi?   Un sejour a Paris! From the 14th to 17th March my partner and I went to Paris for a little break.. We booked a nice, cosy little hotel in central Paris, just south of the Montmartre region. When we got there, the airport bus left us off at Gare du Nord.  From there we managed to flag down a taxi to take us to our hotel.  The taxi driver gave me my first 'your French is excellent' compliment!!  I was so happy but not quite convinced. Here is what we did: Night 1 (not long after arrival): Dined in a typical little Parisian restaurant, off the Rue Lafayette.  We headed back to the hotel,as we'd been travelling all day, early night and recharge batteries for the following day. Our room Day 2 We headed straight for the Eiffel Tower - leaving the hotel at 8.30 am. I was so excited!!  The weather was nice.   We walked along the Champ de Mars - I didn't recall the Tower being...

Vraiment desolee!!

Do please forgive me for not updating in a while...well, since my course is fast approaching I am starting to think how I can brush up on my grammar......in the meantime, I 'treated' myself to a couple of nice things last week. Paris themed storage tin Eiffel Tower design sticky post- its French fabric Last but not least, I found this little cutie tucked away, forgotten I'd had it!! *                        *                         * Oh, the family & I went to see The Adventures of TinTin last week at the cinema which I believe to have first appeared in French.   Thoroughly enjoyed it! A couple of my French friends Nathalie & Sophie who I keep in contact with have said I am most welcome to vi...