Tuesday 16 November 2010

Classic French Onion Soup recipe

French Onion soup is always a favourite of mine and is especially popular in northern France where the onions grow.

Ingredients:
4 large onions, sliced into rings
2 tbs vegetable oil or 50g butter
1 level tbs flour
1 litre of water
1 beef stock cube
4 slices of French bread
50g grated cheese

Here is what you do:
  1. Heat the oil or butter in a large pan and fry the onions until they turn golden brown (about 15-20 minutes)
  2. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon.   Add the water and stock cube. Boil, cover and simmer fror 20 minutes.
  3. Preheat the oven to 190 C/375 F/ Gas mark 5. Place the bread on a baking tray, top with the cheese and bake for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
  4. Pour the soup into bowls and float the cheesy bread on top.
Et, voila!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer

    This sounds good for a nice cold wintery day.If you don't mind I think I will use your recipe.

    Love your blog
    your new follower

    Tammy---tamtamlee from follow my blog swap

    ReplyDelete

Life's too short!

I wasn't always a Francophile...to be honest I only started being one when I turned nineteen years of age. It began with my very first t...